Tuesday, 13 November 2012

Year of fear (not)

This year I found myself going through something I never thought that I would go through, fear and worry. I never thought fear would be something that I would struggle with because it seemed like the unChristian thing to have; I mean it’s the opposite of faith. When we fear we tell God that we really don’t trust Him or His guiding.
I struggled so badly with fearing death in my family. I struggled with fear of time passing by. I struggled with fear of losing my good health. I struggled with fear of my future, what if I don’t find a job?  I struggled with fear of not being accepted as I am. I struggled with fear of my safety, what if one day I walk down the street and someone attacks me?  If I don’t get a response from my loved ones I panic, what if this happened? What if that happened? Sometimes I could control this fear but other times it consumed me, even when my heart was at peace my mind constantly entertained ‘what ifs’. Life’s harsh circumstances taught me to TRUST NO ONE and although I believed God enough to follow him I did so while still wondering ‘what if it doesn’t work’.
What puzzles me is that when I look back on my life, I see God’s faithfulness. I had enough of the enemy playing mind games with me so I decided to give all my fears and worries to God cause one thing that I know for sure is that  I was not built to carry all this anxiety life throws at me and it was NOT easy cause I first had to admit that I have not been so 'faithful'.  I will never stop fear from creeping into my mind and I cannot say I am completely freed from fear and worry but I am taking baby steps. I am learning to LET GO, and LET GOD. Each day is a constant battle, I am learning to choose my thoughts DAILY, thoughts of peace and not thoughts of evil. I am learning to draw strength and confidence from God knowing that he will never give me what I cannot bear and that no matter whom or what I may lose in this life, GOD IS STILL THERE just as he has always been there. He has been faithful all along, why would HE stop now?
When such feelings overtake me, I remind myself of what the Lord instructs us to do: BE ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your request be made to God and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I know I am not the only one struggling with fear, I pray that this will encourage someone to LET GO and LET GOD, cause really, we were not made to carry such anxiety. These are some of the scriptures and quotes that have helped me:


18 comments:

  1. i needed to hear this today! my spirit have been lifted.
    http://clothes-lovers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! Thank you Miss fashionista!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this post and the scriptures. Fear is something, I deal with on a daily basis as well. The enemy plants these lies and by feeding them I start to believe them. I pray that God will help me from this day forward to starve my fears because I am tired of feeding them and allowing them to grow, in my heart. I want to grow in love instead. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!! Funmi, thanks, your comments always seem to encourage me! Always. I pray that God will help us all with this thing called fear and may we put it far away from our hearts AS POSSIBLE!! AMEN!!

      Delete
  3. Ha! I wrote a post (similar to this), saved it in my draft and waiting for the right time to publish it. Hmm, maybe this is a sign? :/

    I fear a lot of things, although I try to play tough. Sometimes, I just can't help it and it overpowers me. I fear the future, mostly, because I don't know what it holds.

    I think fear is just a tactic of the devil trying to sway your eyes off the GREAT things God already has in-store for you. Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, whom shall you fear? The rod and the staff; they comfort you.

    Psalm 23 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I think you are the Nigerian version of me! haha!

      I can't wait to read it. I like the fact that you are allowing GOD TO LEAD you as to when you can publish your posts!! I agree with you, the enemy doesn't want us to see what lies before us so he comes with his stupid mind games. mxm, 'he' sucks!

      It's always comforting to know that someone experiences the same thing, thanks for the comment friend!

      Delete
  4. The word of GOD can be trusted..it is genuine like silver refined 7x in a furnace......it is life itself and never return void, but fulfill what it has been sent out to do...selah!

    In times of trials and storms, HE will send an Angel to calm the storms as HE did for Paul....so sister,keep the faith burning through HIS grace...amen.

    Thank you for always visiting and commenting in my posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I lovw that first sentence,the word of GOD can be trusted. It sure can

      Pleasure,it was great being there!!

      Delete
  5. love your blog, great quotes!! would you like to follow each other??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I do follow you Abby, been following you for a while now and you said the same thing but you didn't follow back. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the wisdom nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Nice blog. Fear is what the devil uses to draw us away from our faith. At times I say to God, I'm beginning to want o which is against what you promised. So rather than embracing fear, challenge God, remind him of His promises and let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I need to do as well! and I am going to do so.

      Thank you, I needed to hear that!!

      Delete
    2. Please leave your blog link so that I can follow back.

      Delete
  8. Fear is a common feeling to all human beings, we should not be afraid or ashamed of feeling this way. It does not necessarily mean that you do not trust him. The future is something that frightens all of us just because we don't have the control on things, what could be more normal? But above that what we need to remember at any time we have those kind of feelings is just that our lives is between the almighty's hands and it's something that surpasses us so faith and trust in his ways is the best thing we can do for ourselves.
    I love those verses very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've come to realize that a little faith can move mountains. Fear is a mountain and only faith in God can move it. Thanks for posting this. It's awesome when as Christians, we can be uplifted through the internet. God bless you gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1 John 14 vs 8:There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment.

    This scripture set me free... fear is bondage and torment and thats why it will NEVER come from the father. Great Post!~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I would love to hear from you, do leave your thoughts with me.