Friday, 1 June 2012

The kind of friend I want to be

Lately,  the topic of friendship has been laying very heavily on my heart. I have really been searching my heart to determine the kind of friend I want to be. The answer I keep coming up with over and over is that I want to impact people. I want them to be changed for the better because they know me. I want to encourage them, challenge them, and together pursue this thing called godliness. I have quit talking about the friends I want to have but instead I AM GOING TO PUT ALL MY efforts in becoming that friend that I want to have. We’d all be very surprised to find, I think, that if we devoted ourselves to being the kind of friends we want others to be for us, that we’d find the Lord piling around us more of the sorts of friends we want.

This is the kind of friend I want to be:


Picture with one of my longest friends: Kamo Snyman,I would not trade him for anything.

Celebrate Successes.
It’s a given that you show up and support a friend during hard times. But when things are going great—when she nailed that big project, landed her favourite job, got recognised for something she felt passionate about—it’s still important to be there, cheering on your friend and letting her know you share her happiness.

The dreamer:
I want to dream big dreams about career changes, building the Kingdom and travelling the world, and I want to help you find a way to make them all happen.
Encourager:
I want to scream from the mountaintops that you are strong, you are capable, you are beautiful and you are full of potential and possibility.

Be Vulnerable. You know that feeling when a friend calls you and she’s crying and needs you, and you say just the right thing to make it better? I love that. I always feel honoured when a friend chooses me to share vulnerabilities. There is a level of trust and loyalty that strengthens a friendship. But it goes both ways. Being vulnerable isn’t always easy, but I’ve learnt that when I genuinely share my heart—the good, the bad, the insecurities, the weaknesses, the moments of despair—it is welcomed by my friends. Women seek to relate to each other. We feel safe and free and challenged to be real when we realise others share moments like ours. The most beautiful moments I’ve shared with friends are always the raw and vulnerable ones.

I want to be the friend who gets more excited for your birthday or Bachelorette party than you do. I highlighted this cause this is really how I really am,  I think I always get more excited about other people's birthdays far more than them. lol..

Trustee:
I want to be the friend you can trust to keep her word, who makes time for you even when life gets hectic, who stands up for you no matter if you’re right or wrong. I want to be the kind of friend that you know I will never speak negatively behind your back. I want to be the kind of friend that is totally honest – even when it’s tough to be honest. Especially when it comes to offering my perspective on a relationship.

Cheerleader
I want to be your biggest supporter, your biggest cheerleader. I want to be the first person that likes the facebook page that you created. The first person that buys the ticket to your concert/performance. The first person that follows your blog. The first to visits your website. The first person to cheer you on and say: 'Well done, you are doing a great job CARRY ON'

BitterSweet friend
I want to be the kind of friend that laughs hysterically with a friend, I want to be that friend that you can totally be RANDOM with, but also will cry with you when you are going  through something difficult. CONFESSION: I hardly cry but a couple of years back a friend of mine went through something really heart-breaking and we weeped together, I love it, we became very close from that.

Reliable:
I want to be the friend you know you can count on, the friend you can call because you are stuck somewhere with your car.

MY BOYSSSSSSSS: The funniset friends that I have
Forgiver:
I want to be the friend that forgives easily and bears no grudges. Love keeps no record of wrong (1 Corinthians 13)
Intercessor
I want to be a friend you can call just to say: 'Pray for me'. That friend you can pray with over the phone.

I want to be a friend that knows when to talk, when to listen, when to shout, and when to whisper


"Remember, your friends are a reflection of you." 
Translation: If your friend has a reputation (good or bad) then it will carry on over to you - whether or not you believe, say or do all the things they do.
"Do not be deceived: Bad company corrupts good morals." - 1 Corinthians 15:33

20 comments:

  1. I think you would make a great friend. You seem like the person that looks for the good in others and is always willing to help with anything.

    I like the qualities your listed. I also would like to be an intercessor for my friend. That's something that isn't too common.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) yeah... I really love helping. Thank you for the comment!!

      Delete
  2. im sure anybody will be lucky u have u as a friend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you!!! thanks for commenting

      Delete
  3. John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

    =) I saw your comment on my friend Haley's blog... =) So I decided to check yours out... ^_^ Very sweet post... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, I love that scripture!! Thank you Leah!!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Cindy!
    Being a good friend is hard sometimes, and I fail at it just about every day. Thankfully my friends are very forgiving. :)

    I'm glad you like my blog; I certainly like what I've seen on yours so far! I'd love to follow you. Hopefully we can continue to encourage each other in Christ! :)

    Have a wonderful day, sister!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need forgiveness so it it important that we also have a forgiveing heart! your friends are great people!

      Thank you- so glad to have you here ;)

      Delete
  5. What an awesome post! I want to be that kind of friend to whom you gave a very detailed description. Wow. Just wow. Thanks for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Haley! I am glad you find it awesome! :)

      Delete
  6. Can i call dibs on being your friend? #ikid

    This is so sweet though. So much thoughtfulness in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Toin... really appreciate the comment :)

      Delete
  7. thank you for sharing your thoughts. I value friendship and good friends are hard to come by. Your truely blessed.

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pleasure... it was fun writing it :)

      Delete
  8. Aww...you sound like a great friend! Keep it up and God will bless in abundantly. We are here to be there for others! However, one thing I didn't see come up in your list (which is already quite impressive) is putting a friend straight and setting them on the right path when they go astray. I believe it's important as a friend to be able to set another one straight when they're up to no good, as in tell them the truth even when they don't want to hear it. It's a hard thing to do because we don't want to step on anyone's toes but it's worth it when that friend sees the light (even if they had to go through being mad at you for speaking that truth).
    Really a great and encouraging post! God bless!


    Tell the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in that completely!! It's just that my list was so long I had to leave out some things!!. Thank you for that lengthy response- LOVE IT!!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Glad you find it so.... :) Thanks Kellz

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I would love to hear from you, do leave your thoughts with me.