Thursday, 15 March 2012

Comparing myself to others is NOT on my 'to do' list

Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get satisfaction of the job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else. Galatians 6:4NLT.



The Bible says we should never compare ourselves to others but how many of us tend to do it anyway? I will be honest, comparing myself to others was once my Achilles’ Heel. I was prone to comparing EVERYTHING. I compared grades, I compared schools, I compared degrees, you name it I compared
Ever find yourself thinking the grass really is greener on the other side? DO NOT!!! For one thing, it undermines your ability to be grateful for what God has given you. It also leads you into discontentment because you will always find people who appear to be better off than you.  Apostle Paul says such comparisons are foolish, “In all this comparing and grading and competing, they quite miss the point.” (2 Corinthians 10:12b Msg) If you focus on what you are not, what you do not have, who you are not, then you devalue who God actually made you to be, and what He called you to do. We are each different and have different levels of responsibility and authority, but we are all equally valuable in the sight of God. Don't spend your life looking at others and defining yourself by what you are not, rather look to Christ and discover all that He has created you to be in Him.


One of the reasons Apostle Paul was used so greatly by God was that he refused to be distracted from his purpose by comparing himself with others. We should do the same thing! What is your thing? What has the Lord put into your life that drives you? Whatever it is that the Lord has given YOU to do, do that well, and relax and enjoy it! Do it well, and do it for the glory of God.
                         

Comparing myself to others may have fueled my incredible drive to succeed in everything but I've come to realise that my life is unique, I'm God's creation, designed with individual strengths and talents, perfectly suited to be who God created me to be! God has blessed me with incredible talents that it will be ungrateful to compare to the next man - I'm at the point in my life where I am comfortable with who I am - I am comfortable with my journey in life, my talents, my personality and I AM COMFORTABLE WITH MY OWN GRACE. I'm more interested in becoming that women that God has called me to be. When I get tempted to compare, I just recall His promises and the fact that He has a special plan for my life that is unique unto me. If I but knew the plans and call He has for my life I would never entertain thoughts of wanting to be something that I am not. I trust God. Period.

5 comments:

  1. Amen! How true that God made us all unique. All too often people - and me too - tend to believe the lies that the world tells us. They say that if we aren't pretty or talented like Beyonce then we are a nobody. God made us all in His image and for His glory. In truth, what an honour to be unique knowing that God actually put creative effort into fashioning us. What a privilage that we get to be our own person and not some clone copy of somebody else. =) thnx for posting. Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Simplicity, you are so right. We are unique-God created us to be. Halleluiah!!!

      Delete
  2. AMEN!!!! we are God's best!! I HAVE OFTEN said, I was born an original, I won't die a copy!!

    thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! We are not in competition with anybody, but our self, and our God-given purpose in life. I love this post. The scriptures say that comparing themselves with themselves, they are not wise. God's word is our standard, not man's.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I would love to hear from you, do leave your thoughts with me.